Sunday, August 21, 2011

The other side of Mahabharata

101 Kauravas - good figure; but only one female child: Dhushala - not fair. This thought triggered me to think about the great Indian epic when I was travelling for work. Out of 101 Kauravas, I remembered my mother sharing her bit of knowledge, most of their names start with "Dhu". Well she is not fully correct on this but,  its really surprising to know Saint Vyaasa was able to think 101 names in a family! If you are interested to know the names, here is the list: Kauravas

During my childhood, I used to listen to the stories of Pandavas. I came to know about their bravery, their self respect and respect to humanity, and all other characteristics about each one of them. When I read the the epic few months ago, I was unhappy with some characters being portrayed. For example, take Shantanu - the great grandfather of Pandavas & Kauravas. Despite his great qualities of honesty, bravery and capability to rule a huge kingdom, he was a womanizer.  He was not even satisfied when he and Ganga gave birth to his eighth son - Bhishma. He in turn falls in love with Satyavathi, a daughter of a fisherman, marries her and has two more children. God! this is the limit. And yet, this character is of great importance. Its a fact that some attributes of parents are inherited by children, but by what measure? Arjuna broke all the records set by Shantanu. He got married four times and had at least one kid with each of his wives. He may be having noble qualities, but having such a list of marital relationships raises questions on his character! On a funny side of the matter, I appreciate Bheema, who had only one extramarital affair with Hidimbi, They produced a warrior - Ghatotkacha. Among the five Pandavas, I believe in Yudhistir - a noble man; honest, obedient and a strict follower of Dharma. Marital affairs of Arjuna

Shakuni - The bad guy of bad guys! But, I believe he is the good guy. I know he is the master mind behind war of Kurukshetra. I don't know how many of you know, but as a matter of fact, he was against Kauravas. He could not digest the bitter truth that his sister - Gandhari is married to a blind man. Dhritarashtra, on the other hand, destroyed Gandhari's family when he learned he is her second husband. This enraged Shakuni and he came up with a clever plan. He knew well in advance that Pandavas will be victorious. So, he added more fuel to fire to make the war happen. Read more


During the war, I suppose everyone knows the live feed by Vidur(Sanjay) to Dhritarashtra. Vidur was most respected as an advisor by the Pandavas whom he forewarned on various occasions of Duryodhana's plots to exterminate them. Krishna respected him for his devotion to the people's welfare and his proficiency in every sphere of knowledge. Now, how could Saint Vyaasa imagined the live telecast ages before existence of TVs, video cameras and satellite communication? All these techno stuff came into being only in the late 1900s. This is what I call incredible foresight!

What I most liked about the epic is, at the end of it, no one is spared if he has committed crimes. No escape from sins - not even the great politician Krishna is forgiven. He might have played smart in political games against Kauravas or even exploited their weakness, but all are sins according to Dharma. The only verdict is death - whoever he may be!

The stories in it are so peculiar that I believe each of instances described in it happen in everyone's lives in one form or the other. And it also teaches how to face difficult situations and solve them. I also believe all  the situations covered in this epic take place from a man's birth till his death in one form or the other. Its not only an epic, but a lesson of life. Haa, that's all I have to say about this eternal epic. What are your thoughts about this which made you feel different?

5 comments:

  1. This epic has always uplifted me when I found myself in toilsome situations. I have always looked at as a guideline in leading my life. My words fail to descibe how much influence this has on my life. The epic is summary of this Kalyug. It has all shades covered; affection, greed, enemity, friendship, poverty, motherhood, brotherhood, love, bravery, patience, forgiveness etc. If anytime we need advise on something, we can look at this epic and definitely get what we want.

    I agree with you on Shantanu, but when he learns what Satyavati's father's condition was to get them married, he steps back. Meanwhile Bhishma learns about his father's love and the rest is known! If only Shantanu was not a womiser, there would be no mahabharat. Its hard to believe that Bhishma was his son, they are soo different.

    Arjun had more than 4 marriages, this was more of politics than love bonding. This is what I have read. But then polygamy was a part of it society and not adharm too! I believe its not adharm because, Sri Krishna Himself says Arjun to marry his sister.

    Shakuni had seen the worst thing happening to his family, the dices he used were made of their bones. No wonder he wanted to avenge!

    It was good to read your blog Amit as always. Well written :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Madhuri: Seems to me that you got completely moved by this post & by the epic as well. Didn't expect such a quick comment from you. Thanks anyways :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post.

    If you find time, try to pick up "The great Indian Novel" brilliantly written by former (sacked) central minister Shashi tharoor. It takes the story of Mahabharata and recasts it into the context of the Indian independence movement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm.. i dont remember much of it though.. this post reminded me of my late granny who used to tell me all the stories when we had power cuts at home.. thanks for bringing those memories which were hidden in some corner of my brain :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi amit. The Mahabharata is undoubtedly the greatest epic ever written. coming to ur point of shantanu, i do not think calling him a womanizer in the sense you mean is correct. Firstly during those times a man, and specially a king could marry many women. almost every charecter in mahabharata had more than 1 wife including karna. Even in today's time if a man loses his wife, we think it pretty 'modern' to remarry. Dont forget Ganga, Shantanu's first wife, had already left him atleast 15-20 yrs before he set his eyes on satyavati.

    ReplyDelete