Monday, February 18, 2013

Gimme a missed call

I don't know how many of you hear this but this line is often used around here. I hear it almost every day. And it troubles me a lot because of its usage. I am no expert in English, but I feel its just wrong. This sentence is used especially when you want to save a new phone number of someone you know. I think "Give me a phone ring" or "Give me a call" makes more sense. A missed call means you have missed an incoming phone call unable to answer it because of some reason. Its a notification by your phone to alert you. Nobody gives it to you.


But how can some one give it you? I mean how can anyone make a call to be missed? I have used this line couple of times while talking with friends, then I began to wonder "Whatever I am saying... is it correct? Nay! It isn't!" From then on, I ask for a phone ring, not a missed call. Here is another thing, I would rather say "I missed a call" or "I missed three calls" than saying "I got a missed call" or "I got three missed calls". Sounds better, doesn't it? God, its so annoying when the line "Gimme a missed call!" falls on my ears. I feel like pulling my hairs and hitting the guy on his head with a big stone who has asked me to give a missed call. But what to do? I am helpless, those guys are my friends. LOL. Last but not the least, I support my thoughts with these famous lines from the movie Phone Booth:
Isn't it funny - you hear a phone ring and it could be anybody. But a ringing phone has to be answered, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment