Saturday, March 16, 2013

Right Ho, Jeeves

I longed to read comedy in literature and this book was the right choice. This is a satire which left me giggling from time to time. A romantic comedy driven by subtle thoughts involving Jeeves and Bertram Wooster and few other characters. Bertie's pride of being a Wooster always makes him devise ridiculous schemes to resolve issues which often end up as failures. Then finally Jeeves comes to the rescue and saves the day.

What tickled me the most are the insults by Bertie's aunt on him although he is very dear to her. They are  peculiar and I may call it - insulting in the Elizabethan way. Not to forget, the phrase Jeeves uses very often "Indeed, Sir?" with an unusual elastic stretch to it made me imagine the tone of his voice. The characterization of Gussie and Tuppy along with their love interests are also perfectly defined. Lastly, I read a lot of "Right-ho"s and "What-ho"s in the book which are new to me. They sound interesting. I like to use them in my day-to-day life. They have a different air to it. Reading this book was total fun and entertains every reader who likes classic British humor.

3 comments:

  1. I like funny books too. Children's author Gordon Kormen is one of my favorites. He makes me laugh out loud... As does Jeff Kinney's Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. I guess you know where my maturity level is.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have read this book--love Jeeves!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the book, but watched and loved the series on BBC. I offered Stephen Fry a job as my Jeeves via Twitter, he declined!

    ReplyDelete